Vacation time is finally here! You are excited to go on that cruise, visit your first all-inclusive resort, relax on a staycation, or take a much-needed family vacation. Whatever your vacation looks like this year, be sure that you have a balance between having fun, relaxing, and not going over your budget.
How to Save Money While on Vacation
It may be tempting to eat at all of the local restaurants, buy amazing souvenirs, and go on excursions. You should do those things, but before you leave, you should plan ahead so that you can prevent overspending. Read these tips to learn more.
- Create a budget before you go. Consider how much money you have available and make a list of necessities (like transportation and food) and things that you might want to splurge on (such as souvenirs and activities). Divide your funds and allocate a certain amount to each item on your list.
- If you have a credit card, be sure to use one that doesn’t charge extra fees.
- Always be aware of the exchange rates if you are traveling to another country and remember that they can change every day.
- Be sure to pack all of your essentials, so you don’t have to buy the things you need
- Use Groupon
- If you book a hotel, be sure that breakfast is included
- If you are not using a hotel, try vacation rental websites or hostels
- Travel light
- Check out free tourist attractions, like parks and no-cover museums
- Create a separate bank account just for your trip, so you don’t overspend
- Look for cheap airline lounge passes online
- Use public transportation if you can
Apps That Help You Save Money
There are great apps that you can use to monitor flights, book cheap hotels, purchase coupons, and so much more. Download these apps and give them a try. Be sure to try them before you leave, so you have a good idea of how the app works.
- Skyscanner (research low airfare)
- Trail Wallet (helps you track your spending in more than 200 currencies)
- HotelTonight (a mobile app that offers great deals for last-minute hotel bookings)
- Ebates (App that gets you cash back on eligible purchases)
- Hopper (for finding affordable flights and hotels)
- Couchsurfing (stay with local hosts in your area)
- Groupon (get discounts on local restaurants, travel and more)
- GasBuddy (helps you find the best local gas prices)
- CouponChief (travel coupons)
- Paribus (syncs with your email, monitors your account for order confirmations, and watches the prices on the items you bought)
- Liftopia (purchase lift tickets in advance)
- Turo (peer-to-peer car rental app)
- Service (tracks your upcoming hotel reservations. If a price drop is detected, it automatically rebooks you at the lower rate and saves you money)
- TripCoin (tracks all daily expenses, works without internet connection)
If you are traveling out of the country, consider purchasing trip insurance. Trip insurance can cover your belongings if they are stolen, trip cancellations, and can also cover your medical costs if you get ill. Check your current individual insurance policies first before purchasing trip insurance.
Vacation is supposed to be a time of relaxation, exploration, and restoration. Don’t let overspending ruin your getaway. Budgeting for your vacation is easier than you think, thanks to modern technology. Plan your trip, budget, and have fun! You deserve it.